Hostel tips for your peace of mind:
- Safety locker: choose the hostel that provides safety lockers, and whereby the locker allows you to lock it using your own padlocks.
- 24 hour security / reception: again security, whilst backpacking is a fun way to meet new people: you can never be too careful with security in mind, having security staff should you need anything is a peace of mind.
- Earplugs: shared accommodation means snoring, etc, etc.
- Bring extra amenities toiletries: some hostel don’t provide these.
- Review the hostel reviews: google the hostel before you book, compare the reviews, learn from others from their experience.
- Booking: if you plan to stay in a place for a long time: it is wise to just make a booking for one or two days initially, spend a day to inspect the area, see if everything suits then book for long term. Otherwise, spend the next day looking for suitable hostel / area.
- Female only or mix dorm? for female backpacker it would be wise to choose a female only dorm. Whilst mix dorm could also be fun, an all female room is strongly suggested.
Female travelers: please be extra careful and vigilant in your trips. I would suggest to travel with another female companion or groups.